2011/01/19

Sometimes I Wished I'm An European

Yes, I admit that I wish I'm not just someone who comes from a poor, terrorists-laden and corrupt third world country. Wait! Before you refute my statement, let me put a sarcasm tag for you. I'm proud to be Indonesian actually.

Just sometimes I wished I'm an European for a very specific reason. Which one? No, I don't envy Europe's cultural heritage, my home country has arguably more expansive and varied culture than any European nations. Maybe the economy? Are you joking or haven't read news lately? Euro has been sinking down, thanks to greedy countries getting into debts they cannot afford. So for what reason then? For the sake of bureaucracy that's what!

Today, I'm applying for Permanent Residence in Slovenia. One of the documents I need to provide is a letter that shows I never have problem with the law. If I'm a citizen of an EU country, I don't need this paper. This document sounds harmless and easy to get, right? Not exactly. Below is my story.

Go ahead, click the image to enlarge and rage with me!

(TL;DR bureaucracy sucks!)
So to get this paper, first I need to obtain a letter from Ketua RT (loosely translated to Neighborhood Chairman) that I had never made a crime. That's funny since I haven't been living in the address (of my parent's) for more than 10 years. It's simply because it's the address that is shown on my passport. After that, I need to go to Kelurahan (something like a smaller Town Hall) to verify and get it official. This paper is one of the requirement to apply the "criminal record" in Polres (District Police if I might say). The other requirements are supplying fingerprints and dozens of 'latest' photograph. I had to run to the nearest photo studio because I got the photograph size all wrong and reprint them again. (to be continued)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lina: Wow rur.. thanks for the tips. In a say that they only refer to the address shown in the passport. I just got my passport extended from the local consulate office (hamburg) recently. I hope I don't have to get through to RT anymore..

How long you've worked there anyway? I cannot apply a PR until another 2 years. Basically 3 years after marriage. It was reduced already, cos I've been living here for study before marriage. Anyhow, I hope everything goes well.

f a t m a said...

i don't like how difficult it is to get those papers in indonesia too. too many doors and lockets to visit.

Fakhrur said...

@Lina.. my passport is issued in Singapore Embassy actually, but the original address is what matters (I have both 'temporary' in Singapore and Slovenia), but my passport is registered as my parent's address in Indonesia. So, I think you might also have this problem.

After living here for 2 years (whether working or by marriage), you're eligible to apply.

@fatma.. yeah this sucks and cost too much money!!

The Diva said...

Aaaahhh bureaucracy.
I'm so sorry for you. We all have to go through this process at one point so I do feel for you. Weddings, permanent residencies, visa, everything. You name it, we've got it all, having the green Indonesian passport.

I'm so sorry for you. It must cost hell a lot of fortune, but hey, this might be the last bureaucracy you'll have to go through ;-)

I still need to wait another 2 years for my PR, although I've lived here for 6.5 years now (workign for 3.5 years)

Fakhrur said...

Well, I still need to wait approximately 2 weeks until I know if my application is approved. But yeah, I hope after this I don't need to do all this bureaucracy bullshit anymore. Unless someday I decide to change citizenship. But for now, I have no intention yet. Like I told you, i still like the idea of retiring in a sunny white-sandy beach somewhere in one of Indonesian island. Man must have dreams right? :p

meyuy said...

asyik pulang :D